Chicken and Chorizo Cornbread Bake
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. chorizo, sliced 1/2” thick
- 1-2 chicken breasts, chopped bite-size
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 12 oz. Marinara Sauce
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped into bite-size cubes
- 2 ½ c. cornmeal
- ½ c. flour
- 1 ½ tsp. Clabber Girl baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c. whole milk
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- Heat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, add olive oil, sliced chorizo and chopped chicken. Over medium-high heat, cook chicken and chorizo until done, approximately 10 minutes. Remove chicken and chorizo from skillet and set aside.
- Drain any fat from the skillet and add bell pepper and onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent. Stir in mushrooms and sauté for 4 minutes. Add Victoria ® Marinara Sauce.
- Spoon mixture onto ungreased 13x9” baking pan. Top with fresh mozzarella.
- Whisk cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk egg, milk and oil in another bowl. Stir the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture until combined. Spread the batter over the chicken and chorizo. Transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is puffed and golden brown. Serve hot.